Friday, June 4, 2010

THE WHIGS: REVIEW & PICS











Review by Drew North, Pictures by Ed McCarthy

I've never seen the Whigs but I've heard about their buzz...and it is well deserved. With Mountain Jammers still coming in and setting up, I was surprised the way the fields quickly filled up and I soon found out why! These guys are dangerous... I am afraid their songs are going to be in my head all day. I'm not totally sure the names of all their songs that they played, but from what I heard "I don't need to kill" and "already yours" stood out in the beginning of the set with "naked" pulsing into the rest of their power pop from their new album "In the Dark" was a great build up to an amazing set. I can hear a lot of sounds bringing early U2 to mind with a bit more of an edge, very much like the early sounds from a young R.E.M. They have great melody in a straight forward rock n' roll combination with serious stage presence and antics reminiscent of Grand Funk Railroad. I loved it when the band members switched instruments during their set...it gave them a whole new sound with the same feel. It doesn't seem like I got a big enough dose of The Whigs so I was psyched to hear that they are playing at 8 o'clock inside The Colonel's Hall... I am definitely gonna catch that new album...I so dig these guys!!!

No comments: